Quite a while since i started to think about an application which should simplify my alldaylife. Such dumb redundant work like searching nice covers in the web, download and rename, and finally saving them to your favourite directory can be quite angering. I´m using a mede8er mediaplayer to playback all of my media stored on 2 external harddrives. Movies, podcasts and Music. Being all by yourself is just fine, you know what movies you own without having to explain or comment any of them. But imagine having many friends around you, especially women, complicates the whole situation . The problem then is to choose between all these movies where the title mostly doesnt tell anything about it at all. Many of my friends ask for a preview, a cover, to get an idea of what it´s about. I personally don´t agree with this, but understand the need of a visual impression. After scraping movies with some applications i was quite frustrated due to the interface, the bad image quality or the platform (windows) and/or the language (java). That´s why i tried myself developing a really small app without claiming great features. Reducing it to a minimum (a quite small minimum).
I decided to use tmdb.org as scraping resource due to its awesome API and its huge repertoire of high definition images. Not theses ugly lowend pictures found at imdb or similar databases..
What it does
- import folders (recursively or not) using drag/drop or openpanel
- link a folder to a movie (from tmdb) manually
- select one of the current results or search for another one
- present a preview of the first image found on the server
- set up preferences as the number of images to download, overwrite images …
- rename images (folder.jpg might be useful for mediaplayer and windows users)
- download images to the folder
- batch whereby either the first result from imdb or, if manually set, the linked movie will be used
- for now, you can´t select which poster to download, either all or the first x will be loaded
- no way to define a blacklist of tokens to avoid like (subs, sample, VIDEO_TS…)
- no overall preflight
Hope you enjoy it and submit suggestions!